Impact Sciences is seeking a Technical Specialist to assist in the preparation of air quality, greenhouse gas (GHG), and noise and vibration analyses related to CEQA/NEPA implementation. We are looking for individuals with 2+ years of technical experience. Professional experience should include conducting environmental air quality, GHG, and noise/vibration impact assessments related to CEQA/NEPA implementation.
- Evaluation of air quality, GHG, and noise and vibration impacts and preparation of technical reports in support of CEQA and NEPA documentation for various public and private projects, including mixed use development projects, transportation infrastructure, institutional, recreation, and specific plans
- Researching and interpreting air quality, climate change, and noise/vibration legislation and policy
- Solving quantitative and qualitative problems
- Preparing scopes of work for proposals
- Coordination with project managers on schedules and budgets
- Bachelor’s and/or advanced degree in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, or related subjects
- Experience conducting air quality, GHG, and noise/vibration modeling and technical reporting pursuant to CEQA/NEPA
- Experience preparing health risk assessments is desirable but not essential
- Experience evaluating impacts associated with transportation and housing projects in California
- Understanding of Caltrans, FHWA, and EPA environmental practice and requirements
- Knowledge, understanding, and experience with noise and vibration computer modeling software, including TNM and RCNM
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with air quality and climate change computer modeling software and methods (EMFAC, CT-EMFAC, CalEEMod, CALINE-4, AERMOD, HARP, CAL3QHCR, ISCST3, OFFROAD, MOVES, CMAQ, etc.)
- Knowledge, understanding, and experience with state and federal air quality, GHG, and noise/vibration environmental case law, policy, and regulation (e.g., CEQA, NEPA, FHWA, OSHA, Caltrans, CARB, SCAQMD, Clean Air Act, AB32, SB 32, OEHHA, etc.)
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Strong quantitative and/or modeling skills are a must
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be an organized, detail-oriented manager with ability to multi-task and prioritize projects on tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Sound business ethic
- Complete new hire onboarding training.
First 2 Weeks
- Work with supervisor to identify and understand project needs and prioritize deadlines accordingly with a keen focus on deliverables that require the most time and effort to complete.
- Comfortably navigate internal communication/planning systems, company/project protocols, and project data and tools for preparing technical studies.
- Demonstrate ability to complete standard technical services deliverables and review project needs with some oversight from senior staff.
- Develop a presence on the internal task management tool (com) and use the system to coordinate with staff on technical services needs.
- Successfully complete 90-day probationary period and participate in self-evaluation discussion with supervisor to assess performance achievements, areas for improvement, goals, and expectations.
- Prepare standard air quality and noise technical reports (e.g., CalEEMod and RCNM) and gather all associated data with limited senior oversight.
- Begin scoping projects for business development proposals, have a clear understanding of relevant qualifications and project experience, and become familiar with preparing proposals and cost estimates for technical services.
- Demonstrate ability to interface with clients, act as a day-to-day contact person for technical issues, and have external contact with project teams and agencies.
- Prepare standard air quality and noise technical reports (e.g., CalEEMod and RCNM) with minimal or no oversight from senior staff. Begin to demonstrate ability to prepare more complex, unique technical reports (e.g., construction or operational health risk assessments and dispersion modeling).
- Lead at least one internal monthly professional development session on a CEQA-related topic, as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
Impact Sciences is seeking a Planner for our Los Angeles office, with the option to work remotely. An ideal candidate must have 3+ years of experience. With minimal supervision from the Principal or Project Manager, the Planner will have the following duties:
- Serve as a Deputy Project Manager or Task Manager on projects of basic or moderate complexity.
- Review subconsultant technical reports and client information to identify relevant information.
- Coordinate task delivery, handle logistics, disseminate and maintain project related information and resources.
- Prepare or direct project research and analysis.
- Demonstrate solid writing skills, contributing to complex environmental reports.
- Assist with budget tracking and invoicing.
- Conduct complex research and analysis, such as demographic information.
- Use critical thinking to identify project impacts and appropriate mitigation measures
Ideal candidates possess effective problem-solving ability and exceptional writing and editing capabilities as well as experience working with public- and private-sector clients in a private consulting firm environment. Knowledge of and experience with CEQA and NEPA compliance is preferred. Qualified candidates should have at least a B.A./B.S. in a related discipline and a minimum of 3 years of experience or a master’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of experience.
Senior Project Manager
Impact Sciences is specifically seeking a Project Manager (levels I or II) with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience preparing and managing CEQA/NEPA projects for public- and private-sector clients. The Project Manager will be responsible for oversight of CEQA/NEPA projects; supervision and mentoring of junior staff; leading the preparation and review process of proposals, cost estimates, and reports. An ideal candidate must possess effective problem-solving ability and exceptional writing and editing capabilities, and some experience working with public and private-sector clients in a private consulting firm. Strong knowledge of and experience with CEQA and NEPA compliance is a must. The ideal candidate will also have a robust network of contacts within the industry and an interest in building and expanding on existing relationships.
The most important functions of this position include:
- Managing time (your own and that of junior staff members), budgets, and project schedules
- Developing and nurturing strong client relationships
- Ability to critically review CEQA/NEPA documents and support the preparation of technical reports
- Assist with group administration
- Manage teams with subcontractors
Capabilities and Credentials
- High level of comfort with shifting deadlines, client demands, working on multiple projects simultaneously, working within budgets, and contributing to the development of a cohesive document.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to shift rapidly from project to project (adaptability).
- Problem solving skills are a must, including the ability to discern which issues need to be elevated to the Managing Principal and which can be resolved without assistance.
- Attention to detail as demonstrated by the ability to review document sections and reports is also critical.
- Experience preparing complex CEQA/NEPA documents with senior-level oversight
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the CEQA/NEPA field (or a related field).
- An ability to manage several projects simultaneously is essential.
- Prepare CEQA, NEPA, and other environmental compliance documents for a wide range of public- and private-sector clients.
First 2 Weeks:
- Review master schedule of existing projects.
- Familiarize self with format of documents as well as current markets.
- Shadow senior staff to familiarize self with project staff, schedules, and upcoming deliverables.
- Demonstrate ability to navigate internal project management tool (Deltek Vision and/or Vantagepoint) and revise project invoices to understand budgets.
- Maintain and demonstrate an understanding of emerging regulations and industry requirements.
- Provide technical expertise during preparation and review of technical analyses and documents, proposals, and/or qualifications information.
- Contact existing clients (via email/phone) to understand projects.
- Attended an internal kickoff or debrief meeting to understand common project challenges.
- Has prepared a schedule and budget and reviewed contract deliverables.
- Manage project(s) with a small team and senior oversight.
- Manage client relationships and works with planners and technical staff on analytical approach.
- Building new client relationships and targeting team revenue goal
- Manage progressively more complex projects.
- Lead one internal CEQA workshop or prepare one thought leadership piece/presentation, etc.
Qualified candidates should have at least a BA/BS in a related discipline, a minimum of 7 years of experience; or master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Remote Work Options
- Group Health Care Coverage (PPO and HMO options) including: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Discretionary Profit Sharing and Bonuses
- Employee-Assistance Program
- Group Basic Term Life Insurance, Group Long-Term Disability Coverage, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid-Time Off, including Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, Floating Holidays, and Holidays
- 401(K) and Roth 401(k) options with 3% company match
Interested in joining our team? Submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Impact Sciences is a growing company seeking professionals to further our vision and mission. We actively promote diversity and inclusivity within our workplace and through our actions. Interest/experience in sustainability, environmental and social justice is preferred but not required.