Senior Air Quality and Climate Change Specialist
Impact Sciences is seeking a Senior Air Quality and Climate Change Specialist for our downtown Los Angeles office. Primary responsibilities include management and oversight of air quality and greenhouse gas emissions technical reports as well as inventories and mitigation, climate action planning and health risk assessments to support CEQA and sustainability practices.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of the current regulatory and technical air quality and climate change environment. The Senior Air Quality and Climate Change Specialist will coordinate with clients, key regulatory agencies, and internal and external technical staff to develop sound and novel approaches and solutions for environmental compliance, environmental documents, and supporting technical analyses.
- Provide technical direction in air quality planning and compliance, ranging from strategic advice to tactical solutions
- Provide training and peer review for junior-level staff
- Research and interpret air quality and climate change legislation and policy
- Solve quantitative and qualitative problems
- Conduct presentations on technical topics for clients and internal staff
- Interact with clients
- Support business development efforts by consistently generating new ideas, leveraging resources, and identifying new business opportunities
- In the first 30 days, demonstrate a clear understanding of the company services, operating procedures and core values.
- Within 60 days demonstrate knowledge of existing clients and identify new markets
- Within three months, conduct one “Lunch & Learn” (internal)
- Each year, meet or exceed annual contract award goal of $400,000.
- Bachelor’s and/or advanced degree in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Atmospheric Science/Meteorology, Chemistry, Physics, or related subjects
- Minimum of seven years of experience preparing climate action plans, greenhouse gas inventories, air quality and climate change impact analyses pursuant to CEQA/NEPA
- Experience preparing health risk assessments
- Experience with transportation projects and/or large program-level documents in California
- Understanding of Caltrans, FHWA, FTA, and EPA environmental practice and requirements
- Advanced knowledge, understanding and experience with air quality and climate change computer modeling software and methods (EMFAC, CT-EMFAC, CalEEMod, CALINE-4, AERMOD, HARP, CAL3QHCR, ISCST3, OFFROAD, MOVES, AP-42)
- Advanced knowledge, understanding, and experience with state and federal air quality and climate change environmental case law, policy, and regulation (CEQA, NEPA, AB 32, SB 32, Clean Air Act, General and Transportation Conformity)
- Experience with noise analyses is a plus, but not required.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Strong quantitative skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task, and the ability to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound business ethic
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, medical, 401k, and a collaborative work environment. These are our core values:
- We do what we say we’re going to do.
- We work together collaboratively.
- We talk out problems.
- We respect each other.
- We are curious about ideas.
- We provide tools to succeed.
Interested? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary responsibilities include leading the CEQA process and preparing documentation for a wide range of development projects and plans, managing project teams including sub-consultants; mentoring staff; and assisting with overall group administration. The role involves direct client interaction, proactive business development, and the preparation of competitive proposals in response to RFPs/RFQs.
An ideal candidate must possess effective problem-solving ability and exceptional writing and editing capabilities. Strong knowledge of and experience with CEQA and NEPA compliance is a must. Experience in effectively managing project budgets and timelines is also necessary. Experience working with public and private clients in a private consulting firm is also necessary. Qualified candidates should have at least a BA/BS in a related discipline, a minimum of 4 years of experience; or Master’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience.
Responsibilities include collecting data, conducting surveys, and performing project research regarding environmental impact reports and other environmental documentation. Our Staff Planners conduct general field assessments including, but not limited to, noise and air modeling, land use studies, socio-economic studies, and historical/archaeological studies. Other responsibilities include:
- Interpreting and composing Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Reports and other technical reports as needed.
- Gathering and preparing materials and data for proposal presentations.
- Performing site studies and preparing and assessing environmental impact studies.
- Contributing to alternative recommendations.
- Attending meetings both inside and outside the firm pertaining to existing and potential projects (e.g., public awareness groups and regulatory agencies).
- Coordinating and consulting with federal, state and local regulatory agencies on scope and impact of a project.
- Assisting with various projects and/or assignments, as needed.
Candidates will have the ability to formulate and conduct technical planning studies in a timely and efficient manner while producing results in a concise, well-written document. Qualified candidates should have at least a BA /BS in environmental studies, earth science, planning, or a related field and experience from 0-2 years.
- Modified Work Schedule (9/80)
- Pet-Friendly office
- Group Health Care Coverage including:
- Employee-Assistance Program
- Group Basic Term Life Insurance
- Group Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation
- Flexible Spending
- Paid-Time Off
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Floating Holidays
- 401(K) Salary Deferral Plan with Company Match